[Building Sakai] Static code review update for 2-7.0, m2 and onwards

Berg, A.M. A.M.Berg at uva.nl
Thu Jan 14 08:49:28 PST 2010

Hi all,

I have been using findbugs to look at version 2-7-0-M2. Thanks to your collective response to the Jira's under (http://jira.sakaiproject.org/browse/SAK-17647) around 120 micro defects have so far been cleaned up with another 80 or so in progress.

Currently I have looked per project, in the next round (2.7.b1) I intend to target specific resource related rules instead. This should pick up some  resource leaks and the numbers mentioned are on the high side as they do not take into account the first sweep. The findbugs rules are going to be:

Database resource not closed on all paths 5
Inconsistent Synchronization 4
Potential SQL Problem 25
Stream not closed on all paths 5
String concatenation on all paths (potentially bad for large courses) - 60
Sysnchronziation on updated field - 2
UnsatifiedObligations to clean up stream - 55
Unsynchronized lay init - 6

Comments and feedback welcome.

Alan

Alan Berg
Interim QA Director - The Sakai Foundation

Senior Developer / Quality Assurance
Group Education and Research Services
Central Computer Services
University of Amsterdam