[Building Sakai] Opensocial integration with Sakai

Ross Gardler rgardler at apache.org
Mon Aug 16 06:31:35 PDT 2010

On 16/08/2010 14:08, csev wrote:
> Atik,
>
> I am curious as to the use case you are trying to implement here.  I
> have interest in how OpenSocial can be useful in a teaching and
> learning context and if we need to extend OpenSocial to build
> learning-oriented tools:
>
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/SHINDIG/Adding+a+New+Feature+to+Shindig
>
>  I would be curious as to the use cases you are trying to support.

Apache Wookie (Incubating) span out of an EU project called Ten
Competence, which produces a personal competence manager. Not a VLE,
sure, but related.

Wookie is a gadget server that hides the varying gadget standards
(OpenSocial, GoogleGadgets and W3C Widgets) behind a standards compliant
layer (W3C Widgets).

I'd suggest that if there is a use case for gadgets in Sakai that you
consider adopting Apache Wookie as the engine for this. It is already
supported in Moodle, Elgg, Wordpress, Drupal, Simal and a number of
other platforms. Implementation is a simple matter of writing a few
methods in some supplied abstract classes and displaying the resulting
widgets in your UI.

However, don't let me distract you from examining the use cases first.
If you do want to have a look at Wookie I'll see you on the Wookie lists
http://incubator.apache.org/wookie

Ross

> I would be curious as to the use cases you are envisioning.
>
> /Chuck
>
> On Aug 16, 2010, at 8:07 AM, Atik Jain wrote:
>

>> Hi,
>>
>> Can I access this profile2 information through web service. Also
>> let me know is there any friends and activity information available
>> in sakai to make the opensocial API .
>>
>> Sincerely, Atik Jain
>>

>> Steve Swinsburg-3 wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Profile2 provides this information and is the profile that ships
>>> by default in Sakai 2.7+.
>>> http://confluence.sakaiproject.org/display/PROFILE/Profile2
>>>
>>> Web services are in the works to expose this information, however
>>> there are entityprovider feeds you can use now:
>>> http://confluence.sakaiproject.org/display/PROFILE/EntityBroker+support+for+Profile2

Do let me know if you need any more information.

>>> cheers, Steve

Sent from the Sakai - Development mailing list archive at Nabble.com.