[Building Sakai] Moodle export/import suitability for Sakai 3

John Norman john at caret.cam.ac.uk
Thu Sep 17 10:37:35 PDT 2009

Lance

You are answering my question on primary use-cases. It seems you are
looking at export/import as a mechanism for migration from Sakai 2 to
Sakai 3. The issue is similar to moving from Sakai to Bb or Moodle and
vice versa (except that we control both ends of the transfer). I would
hazard that not all information in the course needs to transfer (or
could transfer) because the implicit models in the systems at each end
are different.

So an important part of the task is to determine what aspects of the
information in the originating system need to transfer to the target
system.

Sakai2 has a site which has members, tools, and content
Sakai 3 has content, groups and 'tool fragments' or widgets on pages
that comprise sites. Groups can be associated with sites (but don't
need to be), content can be associated with sites (but doesn't need to
be).

In general, in this model, groups and content are not too worrisome
for 2 -> 3 because the 3 model easily encompasses the 2 model. But for
tools -> multiple tool fragments on pages, as you go from 2 to 3,
there may need to be manual intervention (e.g. I import my course that
had the Forums tool in Sakai 2. The tool does not appear immediately
in 3, but discussion threads and fora are available on a pick-list as
the instructor builds the new course pages.

Another, line of thinking would be to say that there are 3 course-by-
course migration scenarios:
1. takes the output of the Sakai 2 course and only makes that
available in widget pick lists for page authoring in the new Sakai 3
installation
2. assumes some general model of a course site in Sakai 2 (e.g.
resources + discussion + gradebook) and a transform is defined to a
site template in Sakai 3 such that standard sites map to standard
sites in a new format. If this model is applied to a non-standard site
at either end, information may be lost
3. takes the full model of the Sakai 2 site, creates a tool-per-page
facsimile in Sakai 3 and transfers the data. It is assumed that the
transferred site will develop over time to take advantage of the new
Sakai features, but initially it will look the same as before.

All of that said, I think the other export/import scenarios suggested
mean we should not ignore IMS CP or CC. If we can transfer a lot more
information with a special solution, that may justify a custom
development, but if practicalities mean that data will be lost anyway,
there will be advantages in having an IMS CC export.

John