[Building Sakai] When (if) plugin repositories go down..

Balazuc Denis Denis.Balazuc at crim.ca
Thu Sep 10 08:47:25 PDT 2009

Hi Branden and everyone

This can happen when remote repositories are down for maintenance or other connectivity reasons.
To avoid this and make sure you can do a full build cycle for your project regardless, a common solution is to setup a Maven proxy.
http://maven.apache.org/guides/mini/guide-proxies.html

This usually requires that you install a server within your organisation to act as the proxy. There are some good products out there that do that well, such as Nexus (http://nexus.sonatype.org/).

On top of not depending on external repositories' availability, the added benefit to having a Maven proxy is that it makes downloading components much faster, as well as providing the ability to maintain and share your own maven artifacts within your organisation.

Hope this helps.

Denis Balazuc

  _____