[Building Sakai] [Management] Sakai 3 Capabilities

Clay Fenlason clay.fenlason at et.gatech.edu
Thu Oct 29 05:31:52 PDT 2009

Reading through that list [1] again, there are a couple ways I can
take it, one of which makes me slightly nervous. The first way I think
is a better match for Nate's intent: an attempt to understand a broad
set of conversations about Sakai 3, and produce some sort of concept
map that might make sense of a lot of high-flown talk. The second, the
one that makes me nervous, is to read it as the beginning of a
capability definition of Sakai 3 that risks leapfrogging a design-led
effort.

I like how it's suggestive of other topics around which useful
'manifestos' (in the Norman model) might spring up. I dislike how it
suggests that these are gaps for which manifestos need to be
developed, and perhaps also how it might lend itself to designing by
functional area rather than working up from user goals and flows of
activity. In that sense it feels like a step back from the value of
the Google spreadsheet [2] which raises capabilities only in partial
response to clear expressions of user goals (abstracted from any
particular implementation).

I don't see that what Nate is putting forward necessarily positions it
as a product council activity or responsibility, but I'm also wary of
creating that impression.

~Clay

[1] http://confluence.sakaiproject.org//x/JgUAB
[2] https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AlfbHxo2qpHEdHRuSnowVGMwWE9HY1MtVjFpY1dtS0E&hl=en