[Building Sakai] repetetion of tool for a course site

John Leasia jleasia at umich.edu
Sat Oct 10 05:40:49 PDT 2009

Gimmi,
Well, there is a way that support could add a 2nd announcement tool (but
not end users). You'd use the Admin Sites tool, edit the site, add a
page, then add the announcement tool again. Probably name it something
else, like Announcement 2 or whatever. In the properties section at the
bottom of the page where you check the tool you want, there is a channel
field. Put in there something like
/announcement/channel/<put site id here>/annc2

Each announcement tool has a channel. The standard Announcement tool in
a site defaults to some channel but you can add other tools on other
channels.
You could also use the functions.require field in the 2nd tool to put in
a permission so that only site maintainers see the tool - a way to have
'private' announcements just among the maintainers, for example.

Zhen added a while back a capability for specifying that a tool could be
added more than once (through the normal UI). I don't know that that
would work with Announcements as is though, since you would have to
change the channel for additional Announcement tools. I don't think it
would be too hard to tweak it though.

John