[Building Sakai] James email issues

Michael J Wenk mjwenk at ucdavis.edu
Wed Oct 7 20:03:21 PDT 2009

3) We had one incident where the incoming connections to James (from
our email relay servers) were piling up in CLOSE_WAIT state. After 30
of them piled up, it was impossible for mail to be delivered to Sakai
any more. The connections did not close until I restarted Sakai.

I am going to change all of the logging in James' environment.xml to
DEBUG. It would be especially helpful if there were any other places
that debugging output could be turned on.

The above has happened to us.  I have debug turned on all of our nodes, and while its interesting, it doesn't seem to really show the problem.  How does mail reach James?  Is there a load balancer involved?

Mike