[Building Sakai] James email issues

Joshua Swink joshua.swink at gmail.com
Wed Oct 7 19:45:26 PDT 2009

We've had a few email issues and I just wanted to run them by the list
in case other people have dealt with the same problems.

1) When messages are unspooled and sent out, it tries to send them to
the server named in the email address rather than using our configured
SMTP server. In other words if the message is intended for
"user at ucmerced.edu" it tries to connect to ucmerced.edu port 25. This
does not work, obviously.

2) About every other message is spooled. There's no apparent reason
for this, and nothing in the tomcat or the james log. We're talking
about 1 message per minute coming in at most.

3) We had one incident where the incoming connections to James (from
our email relay servers) were piling up in CLOSE_WAIT state. After 30
of them piled up, it was impossible for mail to be delivered to Sakai
any more. The connections did not close until I restarted Sakai.

I am going to change all of the logging in James' environment.xml to
DEBUG. It would be especially helpful if there were any other places
that debugging output could be turned on.

--
Joshua Swink