[Building Sakai] User in sakai_user_id_map but not in sakai_user

Kenwrick Chan kchan at hawaii.edu
Wed Nov 18 15:14:05 PST 2009

Thanks Steve,
[more]
On Nov 18, 2009, at 12:57 PM, Steve Swinsburg wrote:

> If you are using an external provider for instance the JLDAP provider, that is expected behaviour. User's don't have internal accounts so they won't have a record in SAKAI_USER. They should have a mapping in SAKAI_USER_ID_MAP though which links their EID (jsmith26) to their USER_ID (the UUID)

Yes, this is the case.  When a user logs in they are authenticated against our ldap.  If they are successful and don't have a local account (in sakai_user) a record gets created for them in sakai_user_id_map (user_id, eid).

Generally speaking though our users are created via another process driven by our student information system.    So an odd state for a user's account occurs when a user logs in before the event to generate the user by the SIS is acted upon.  Since this user account with only a sakai_user_id_map exists there is no way to update the user's info and say populate it with courses (since no sakai_user, sakai_user_property record exists for the user).

> If you delete their records in SAKAI_USER_ID_MAP they will be given a different UUID when they next login. This will break anything linked to their old ID and is probably bad.

So this becomes the process for our account clean up.  Delete the sakai_user_id_map record then generate a new account.  It doesn't happen often, but it does happen especially during peak registration times.

What I was hoping for was a method to update those account that exist in sakai_user_id_map into full account that are in sakai_user and sakai_user_id_map.

-kenwrick