[Building Sakai] User in sakai_user_id_map but not in sakai_user

Steve Swinsburg steve.swinsburg at gmail.com
Wed Nov 18 15:28:53 PST 2009

Hi Kenwrick,

I'm a little confused about whether you want/need all users to have records
in SAKAI_USER or not. If you authenticate via LDAP, you can pull all of
their info from LDAP (name and email) and they never need a SAKAI_USER
record. So it wouldn't matter when they login because there is nothing to
get out of sync.

Are you saying that your external system creates records in SAKAI_USER for
each user, even LDAP ones, but people are logging in before this happens for
their particular account so it gets out of sync? If so, I understand :)

But, is there a need for having their account in SAKAI_USER at all, or can
you just use LDAP for the details. If you really do need the SAKAI_USER
record, you could backfill SAKAI_USER from SAKAI_USER_ID_MAP. You may be
able to script this via Quartz and recreate the User based on the USER_ID
and EID you already have, since you can specify the USER_ID when creating a
User. Then do an LDAP lookup to get the rest of the details. Not sure if
this will bail though, since there is already a record in the
SAKAI_USER_ID_MAP. Some simple SQL will around that, though I don't normally
recommend doing direct SQL on the DB itself

cheers,
Steve