[Building Sakai] Load Testing on Sakai Server!

Josh Holtzman jholtzman at berkeley.edu
Thu Jun 18 06:31:34 PDT 2009

Ray Davis put together some stress tests for UC Berkeley using htmlunit.
See https://source.sakaiproject.org/svn/msub/berkeley.edu/stress-test/

I had a chance to play around with this approach, and it's really easy to
code up a "login as uxer x, click the link that says 'Y', etc" with a bunch
of threads, and we're always able to generate enough load to take down the
cluster.

The current set of tests are read-only, meaning that they do not modify any
sakai data.  They just log hundreds of users in, and have them navigate
around various sites and tools.  We're moving to a linux+NFS setup for the
fall, so we're going to start adding file-specific tests that include
read/write operations in the resources tool.  This work will likely begin in
the next couple of weeks.

Josh