[Building Sakai] Questions about new synoptic tool for Messages & Forums

Holladay, Bryan Andrew bahollad at indiana.edu
Thu Jul 30 12:35:29 PDT 2009

Clay,

Thanks for the commendation.  I'm not sure if you were asking the questions or just stating they needed to be answered on the page, so I will post the answers both on this email and the wiki.

 1.  W hat happens if a school deploys Forums but not Messages? Or vice-versa?

   &
 2) What happens if a site uses Forums, but not Messages? Or vice-versa?

The tool checks to see if each site in the Synoptic Table (where it saves the counts for quick retrieval) has either the messages, forums or the message & forums tool.  A site gets added to the table only if there has been some activity in the messages or forums tool or during the Quartz load job (which also checks each site for these tools).  So if messages or forums or messages&forums tools are not registered for that site, the Site will not show up in the list.  If only the messages or the forums tool has been added to the site, then the one that is missing will have a non-linked "none" in the count column.  This is being done every time the tool is loaded, so if you remove one of these tools, then it will update.  It will also check that the site exists and that it is published.

    3) Can this synoptic tool be included with others on a page, or does
it need its own?

Yes.  We (IU) have our version running on the MyWorkspace Home page.

Thanks,
Bryan

I'm looking at another fine example of documentation supporting a new
feature (proposed for 2.7) - a new synoptic tool for Messages and
Forums [1] . Thanks to Bryan Holladay.

It raises a question or two in my mind, though, that I don't see answered there:

1) What happens if a school deploys Forums but not Messages? Or vice-versa?
2) What happens if a site uses Forums, but not Messages? Or vice-versa?
3) Can this synoptic tool be included with others on a page, or does
it need its own?

Thanks in advance,
Clay

[1] http://confluence.sakaiproject.org/x/HgCZAQ