[Building Sakai] Rwiki

Nate Angell nate.angell at rsmart.com
Sat Jul 18 11:29:01 PDT 2009

I strongly support the idea of (backporting?) the Sakai 3 content
authoring experience to Sakai 2 as one of the most salient ways to
provide a user-experience bridge between the versions, especially if
it also addresses the need for a better wikiesque experience in Sakai
2. If what Clay said about such an effort also assisting with or at
least not complicating data migration from 2 to 3, then so much the
better. For those institutions focused on Sakai 2 to 3 bridges, this
may be one of the biggest, easiest wins (and I can say that cause I
have no idea how much work it would be ;)

As long as we're on the subject of wiki editing syntaxes and the like
however, I'd like to remind us of a couple of points that we might
want to take into consideration.

1) TinyMCE may seem like a great choice now, but I think we all feel
constrained by a certain lock-in with FCKEditor in Sakai 2.
Accordingly, I think the ideal path would be to aim toward authoring
capabilities that more easily enable the global use of a specific
authoring tool (eg, TinyMCE), but also make it easier to plug in
something different (eg, Sferyx or similar to get math/equation
editing), or even more than one alternative tool. If it were possible
to make the whole authoring UX pluggable and configurable that would
be best, so one institution might deploy only TinyMCE everywhere,
while another might offer TinyMCE alongside their favorite flavor of
wiki markup (like Confluence does), while another might require raw
HTML only (because they are masochistic). Too ambitious probably for
Sakai 2, but should maybe be a goal for Sakai 3. I'm sure everyone can
guess the place I'd go for prior art on such a pluggable/configurable
approach (http://drupal.org).

2) As long as were talking about basic wiki functionality (eg,
versioning, easy page linking), let's not forget version comparison/
diffing, even if it's just a goal for Sakai 3. While I may be loving
my constructivist flow, if I'm doing it in a collaborative context, it
can be pretty important to be able to see the changes others have made
easily.