[Building Sakai] Rwiki

John Norman john at caret.cam.ac.uk
Sat Jul 18 04:52:06 PDT 2009

I just checked 3akai. Linking in TinyMCE works as you would expect: as
you type you can highlight a word and click on a 'link' button. At
present there are 2 such buttons, the standard button that expects you
to give the URL to any arbitrary page and define the behaviour of the
link (e.g. open a new window) when clicked on. But there is a second
'link' button created as part of the Sakai extensions to TinyMCE for
the demo. This offers a list of existing pages in the site. I imagine
it would be possible to extend this functionality to include 'create a
blank page as a placeholder'.

Right-click on a highlighted word invokes a drop-down menu with the
standard linking in the options. Again I imagine it would be easy to
add the Sakai linking option to the drop down.

That would allow the 'flow' Sean calls for and which is indeed a major
feature of working in a wiki. You would be typing along, highlight a
word, right click and select 'create blank page as a placeholder' and
continue typing.

So there is work to be done, but I don't believe it would be major
work if we keep the buttons separate. A later enhancement might be to
incorporate the Sakai button options in the standard linking dialogue
box, but I imagine that might have maintenance implications as TinyMCE
evolves. But it is worth checking out.

John