[Building Sakai] Rwiki

Michael Korcuska mkorcuska at sakaifoundation.org
Fri Jul 17 11:57:56 PDT 2009

Yes, you have this right.

I do think, in the short term, either path (adding WYSIWYG to rWiki or
adding functionality to a tinyMCE-based tool) is a big step forward.
In the long run, I'm of the view that wiki markup will become
increasingly obscure and a niche application.  While it does afford a
certain degree of control, most of Sakai's user needs are well met by
something approaching a google doc. More sophisticated users can edit
the HTML directly. Wiki markup strikes a middle ground between WYSIWYG
and HTML--more control than tinyMCE and less complexity than HTML. As
the WYSIWYG HTML editors get better, though, this middle ground
continues to shrink. I *do* think there are use cases for wiki markup
(e.g. Wikipedia) where you don't want the formatting free-for-all that
can result from thousands of people trying to do HTML editing on the
same site. I just don't think we are in that category.

Michael