[Building Sakai] Rwiki

Charlie Macchia cmacchia at BrainOVision.com
Fri Jul 17 18:39:24 PDT 2009

On 7/17/09 6:51 PM, "Sean Keesler" <sean at keesler.org> wrote:

> One of the real powers of wiki's for teaching is the ability to stub out ideas
> and create links to non-existent pages. The result is an invitation to extend
> and flesh out the rough ideas. Wiki syntax isn't particularly important...but
> the idea that you can easily state an area you, you peers, or your students
> need to come back to and address later without interrupting the flow of ideas
> IS. A traditional google doc approach doesn't really capture that important
> functionality (unless I don't use it right ;).
>
> I can't help but but notice that many of the TWSIA uses of wikis involved
> student "exploration" and "constructionist" uses that probably exploited the
> ability of a wiki to facilitate organic growth and exploration of interesting
> areas of student learning.
>
> Sean

Š as a musician (
http://homepage.mac.com/charliemacchia/iMovieTheater10.html ) I think I
understand the process of constructionist efficiency, though I¹ve never
called it that before; a bad tool can get in the way, or worse, side-track ­
most dangerously - without the Œconstructors¹ even being aware that they¹re
being sandbagged: this is why so many folks with MIDI studios write terrible
music, their brains get creative, then something happens which halts the
process and involves the tool, and now due to the tool, they have to spend
most of their energies problem solving rather than creating ­ this makes
every creative idea far more a case of heavy lifting than it should be (
hint, there¹s a reason the best song writers can sing and play and
instrument at the same time ).

So, I appreciate your comment about the efficiency of the tool, by way of
creating stubs ­ you can guide and invite, while avoiding getting trapped ­
nice.

In short, it¹s not the specific syntax of the tool that matters, in that
specific instance, it¹s the ability to create this feature ­ along with the
collaborative abilities the tool should have to offer.

Wish I knew more about this Š

Wish I knew more about how to code it Š

Guess that¹s the way all this stuff starts out though ­ I love TinyMCE¹s
interface however, and I¹d love to see a wiki-like tool that leverages it,
and maintains, diffs, history, permissions etc.

Has anybody done a pseudo-wiki with TinyMCE?

Charlie