[Building Sakai] Rwiki

Knoop, Peter knoop at umich.edu
Thu Jul 16 10:42:18 PDT 2009

I took Charlie's and Adam's comments to be about adding wysiwyg editing capabilities to rwiki in general, not specifically about adding FCKeditor to rwiki.  However, given the usage of FCKeditor elsewhere in Sakai, that seems like an important avenue to consider.

I'm not sure if you're speaking here as Noah Botimer, Sakai Developer at Michigan, or as Noah Botimer, Sakai Product Council Member, however, given the sizable interest in seeing this capability in 2.6 (and the subsequent disappoint when it didn't make it), it seems premature to downplay this as a possible near-term goal.  (Especially if Charlie and Adam are expressing an interest in helping work on it!)  I think it's already been pointed out that Rwiki featured prominently in the two TWSIA winner presentations at the conference.  Now, one could interpret that as the tool is already usable as-is, and exciting things can be done with it now.  Or, one could interpret that as it being a critical tool and enhancing its capabilities would enable more people to use it, and perhaps in even more innovateive ways.  The truth, of course, likely lies somewhere in-between.

This topic may indeed require some "whole ball of wax" thinking, and it may take months to refine a solution.  To me that would argue for work resuming on it sooner, rather than later, especially if there are people interested in forming a team to work on it now.  Keep in mind there was an implementation already developed for 2.5/2.6, it just turned out to be too buggy to use reliably in its current state.  (I've forgotten, did it end up in production at Oxford?)

I'll also note that this thread is on sakai-dev.  If you asked this same question of the end-users and their proxies on sakai-user, you are likely to get different responses, though I would bet interest in seeing a wysiwyg capability added to rwiki would be among the highest, based on past levels of interest.

-peter