[Building Sakai] Rwiki

Noah Botimer botimer at umich.edu
Thu Jul 16 09:51:48 PDT 2009

I have to offer some dissent here. Adding WYSIWYG support is a "whole
ball of wax". I am not arguing that people want some rich
collaborative editing; I am just challenging that "add FCKeditor to
rWiki" is the first/best conclusion to make. There are lots of bits
to untangle once the first pass of integration is done, probably
months of real usage/mistakes/refinement.

I would voice support for the three items that Savitha identified and
add a few of my own. These are simple things that I think add
cognitive load and mechanical frustration for people:

  1. The viewed styles should match up with more traditional Sakai
formatting.

  2. There should be an easy way to browse the site pages and insert
a link.

  3. The editor box should be in a fixed-width font for alignment and
character discernment.

Each of these six is quite straightforward and would reduce usage
barriers significantly. Resolving them would improve the experience
while preserving the spirit and models in place. The bigger question
of rich text collaborative editing may end up with FCKeditor in
rWiki, but I have trouble thinking of that as the highest priority,
given the wealth of options in late 2009.

A detail note: The style change would be most invasive, but it would
be easy to offer options: wholesale update, default to updated style
with page opt-out, default to current style with page opt-in, or
maintain current style.

Thanks,
-Noah