[sakai-core-team] whitespace changes

Matthew Jones matthew at longsight.com
Thu Feb 26 14:10:37 PST 2015

I agree that it's a history killer which is one big reason why it's
avoided. The other is that we don't have a coding standard of tabs verses
spaces, and if spaces how many spaces. We could change every file in the
code, implement a hook to enforce it when people try to commit something
that didn't match but.

1) Is it worth it to lose that blame history?
2) Can we agree on a standard to use (
http://programmers.stackexchange.com/questions/57/tabs-versus-spaces-what-is-the-proper-indentation-character-for-everything-in-e)
- 129 votes for spaces, 250 votes for tabs just on the top, even more
disagreement going down.

I don't think even if we could live with #1 that in a large community
project like Sakai #2 would be possible, but maybe I'm wrong. What would I
vote? I have expandtab set so I guess I'd be on the side of spaces.
Personally when I edit, I just keep to the format of whatever code is
there. (I show hidden characters in my editors) If someone commits
something and the spacing is different it doesn't bother me.

I like this reply on that post. ;)

http://programmers.stackexchange.com/a/165
​