[sakai-core-team] whitespace changes

Sam Ottenhoff ottenhoff at longsight.com
Thu Feb 26 13:58:23 PST 2015

Ideally, this would have been done during the move from SVN to Git and
before lots of people forked sakaiproject/sakai.git.  We should have
globally modified all Java code as described in the link below, and then we
should have set up a plan to enforce standards via pull request validation.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/4112410/git-change-styling-whitespace-without-changing-ownership-blame

The problem with formatting changes is that it's a history killer.  git
blame and git diff lose their relevancy.

How upsetting would it be for all of the Git forks if we rewrote the entire
history as described in that StackOverflow post?