[sakai-core-team] Git Workflow for commits

Matthew Buckett matthew.buckett at it.ox.ac.uk
Tue Feb 24 03:52:37 PST 2015

That's the safest, easiest way to resolve the conflict. It means you
don't risk losing your work and if you mess up the merge and want to
re-try it's easy todo.
The only downside is the slightly messier history.

One alternative is to rebase your local branch onto upstream/master.

For bugfixes that are to be merged back to a stable branch it's
generally better to have the extra commit so that if the conflicting
commit isn't going to the stable branch only the original change gets
merged back.

On 24 February 2015 at 01:46, Matthew Jones <matthew at longsight.com> wrote:
> So today I ran into my first PR that github wouldn't merge with the button.
> Yeah, I haven't been running git long.
>
> So I ran a
>
> git fetch upstream && git merge upstream/master
>
> in the branch, and it said there was a commit, I fixed the commit,
> recommitted and pushed it all back into the branch. And it committed and
> looked okay but it added a new commit message. I don't know how to *squash*
> this or do anything to it. Does it matter? Do we have a process for this? I
> could close this and start again.
>
> Anyone have any great workflow when there's a conflict?
>
> https://github.com/sakaiproject/sakai/pull/204

  Matthew Buckett, VLE Developer, IT Services, University of Oxford