[Deploying Sakai] Clarification on Github process

Neal Caidin neal.caidin at apereo.org
Thu Feb 19 09:53:41 PST 2015

Hi All,

Today on the Sakai core team call we discussed the Git/Github workflow.

My understanding is that the team recommendation is:
    Create a Jira for your issue (feature, bug, etc), as always
    Create a branch
    branch name should use Jira id
    Work only in branch, not on the master
    no changes in master, ever.
    Master is "the branch you receive changes through for upstream repo"

The Confluence page that reflects this process:
https://confluence.sakaiproject.org/display/PMC/Migrating+from+SVN+to+Git%3A+SVN+contrib+committers+-%3E+Git+authors

I hope that is clear. Apparently things can get a little tricky if you
commit to your master branch directly, as it is primarily intended as a way
to keep up with the upstream master.

Feel free to ask questions (which probably others will answer ;-) ).

Thanks,
Neal