[Deploying Sakai] Trouble running SAKAI using HTTPS

Sam Ottenhoff ottenhoff at longsight.com
Thu Feb 27 11:57:26 PST 2014

So you are running Sakai 2.9 on Tomcat 7.0?  And then you have a front-end
load balancer like Nginx or Apache HTTPD in front of Tomcat that handles
the SSL?

So then your Tomcat has no idea that it is running over HTTPS.  Your Tomcat
believes it is running over HTTP because Apache is talking to it over HTTP.

If yes to all of the above, then you need your front-end load balancer to
tell Tomcat that the forwarded connection is really happening over HTTPS
and not HTTP.

The easiest way to do this is by passing the X-Forwarded-Proto from the
load balancer to the Tomcat.  More here:

http://collab.sakaiproject.org/pipermail/sakai-dev/2013-October/024772.html

and here:

https://confluence.sakaiproject.org/display/DOC/Sakai+Admin+Guide+-+Advanced+Tomcat++(and+Apache)+Configuration

--Sam