[Deploying Sakai] database load in 2.9

Matthew Jones matthew at longsight.com
Thu Sep 13 20:30:28 PDT 2012

Hi Omer,

That Java option was added about a year ago to Michigan production, I
believe that they were still running with it, at least when I left they
were. I did a good amount of research and found that the newer Oracle
drivers used /dev/random by default, but couldn't find why they changed.
The /dev/random is 'more random' but relies on a constant source of entropy
being generated by the system. On a active desktop this is generated by
mouse movements, microphone, keyboard but it is unlikely on a headless
server unless you have some processes or hardware setup to gather entropy.
The /dev/urandom is 'pseudo random' because it could potentially be
predicted. Though if someone is in your system and able to predict the
random numbers then you've got more problems. :)

The /dev/urandom is both fast and non-blocking (won't wait if there is no
entropy). I don't believe we were able replicate in load a difference with
or without the option, /dev/urandom was better overall, the default option
in previous drivers, recommended by the linux man page for everything other
than GPG/SSH keys [1], and recommended on oracle guides for weblogic [2] so
we just went with it. :)

[1] http://linux.die.net/man/4/urandom
[2] http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E13209_01/wlcp/wlss30/configwlss/jvmrand.html