[Deploying Sakai] database load in 2.9

Omer A Piperdi omer at rice.edu
Thu Sep 13 19:40:38 PDT 2012

We have disabled portal chat. We are recently seeing connection timed
out error like below..

java.sql.SQLRecoverableException: IO Error: Connection timed out
         at
oracle.jdbc.driver.T4CPreparedStatement.executeForRows(T4CPreparedStatement.java:1065)
         at
oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleStatement.doExecuteWithTimeout(OracleStatement.java:1329)
         at
oracle.jdbc.driver.OraclePreparedStatement.executeInternal(OraclePreparedStatement.java:3584)
         at
oracle.jdbc.driver.OraclePreparedStatement.executeUpdate(OraclePreparedStatement.java:3665)
         at
oracle.jdbc.driver.OraclePreparedStatementWrapper.executeUpdate(OraclePreparedStatementWrapper.java:1352)
         at
org.apache.commons.dbcp.DelegatingPreparedStatement.executeUpdate(DelegatingPreparedStatement.java:102)
         at
org.sakaiproject.db.impl.BasicSqlService.dbWriteCount(BasicSqlService.java:1247)
         at
org.sakaiproject.db.impl.BasicSqlService.dbWrite(BasicSqlService.java:1143)
         at
org.sakaiproject.db.impl.BasicSqlService.dbWrite(BasicSqlService.java:1059)
         at
org.sakaiproject.event.impl.UsageSessionServiceAdaptor$ClusterStorage.closeSession(UsageSessionServiceAdaptor.java:981)

Also we have seen one of our app. server starts closing the sessions on
other servers as orphan sessions and it stopped writing to sakai_event
table.. We are not sure whether it is an issue with /dev/random on app.
server. We plan to add '-Djava.security.egd=file:/dev/urandom' option at
Tomcat startup.

Thanks
Omer