[Deploying Sakai] [Building Sakai] Performance issue of synoptic view of announcement tool in home page of "MyWorkspace"

Matthew Jones matthew at longsight.com
Mon Apr 2 16:49:17 PDT 2012

This appears to be a known issue with no real fix yet. These announcements
are not normally cached.

It doesn't look like the base cache mentioned is being used at all by
default and some mentioned it might have some problems
http://collab.sakaiproject.org/pipermail/sakai-dev/2010-August/008816.html

You might want to double check that ANNOUNCEMENT_MESSAGE CHANNEL_ID and
DRAFT are indexed and optimized (as that ticket mentions, that's the query
that's run). Ideally your database query cache might be able to take some
of this load off (depending on your database). I'm not sure what else to
suggest other than fixing or waiting for that table to be cached.

I don't believe there were any performance enhancements to announcements or
the messages api after 2.6. I know announcements reordering was added,
which added a few new columns. Announcements has had relatively few changes
since 2.6, mostly just bug fixes and this feature.

-Matthew