[Deploying Sakai] problem with modifications in sakai.properties doesnt work.

Raad Al-Rawi raad at caret.cam.ac.uk
Tue Jun 7 04:48:04 PDT 2011

Hi Anders

You say

"I have noticed that when I change sakai.properties the modifications
doesn’t work when I log in to sakai"

but changes to sakai.properties are only picked up by restarting the
tomcat. Did you do this before looking for the changes?
Also, sakai.home is where the system (by default, iirc) looks for
sakai.properties, so is that where the file is?

Cheers

Raad

On 07-Jun-11 10:34, anders.nordqvist at his.se wrote:
> Hi,
>
> When I first Installed Sakai I put –Dsakai.home=/path to sakai-home (not
> tomcat home) in the tomcat setenv.sh file. I have a directory named
> sakai with sakai.properties in tomcat. I have noticed that when I change
> sakai.properties the modifications doesn’t work when I log in to sakai
> (one example is that I raised the content.upload another Is that I
> stealthed a couple of tools). Whe I try to remove or change the
> Dsakai.home parameter it doesn’t work at all. I just get a bunch of java
> errors in catalina.out as you can see below. This is a small selection
> of the error code!
>
> om.mysql.jdbc.CommunicationsException: Communications link failure due
> to underlying exception:
>
> ** BEGIN NESTED EXCEPTION **
>
> java.net.ConnectException
>
> MESSAGE: Connection refused
>
> STACKTRACE:

> at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.socketConnect(Native Method)
>
> at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.doConnect(PlainSocketImpl.java:351)
>
> at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.connectToAddress(PlainSocketImpl.java:213)
>
> at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.connect(PlainSocketImpl.java:200)
>
> at java.net.SocksSocketImpl.connect(SocksSocketImpl.java:366)
>
> at java.net.Socket.connect(Socket.java:529)
>
> at java.net.Socket.connect(Socket.java:478)
>
> Why cant I change the Dsakai.home and why isn’t my modifications of
> sakai.properties working?
>
> mvh
>
> Anders N

Raad Al-Rawi
CARET, University of Cambridge
1st Floor, 16 Mill Lane, Cambridge, CB2 1SB, UK
Telephone: +44 (0)1223 765395
Web      : www.caret.cam.ac.uk