[Deploying Sakai] OAE UI Caching

csev csev at umich.edu
Thu Aug 18 04:17:55 PDT 2011

Daniel,

Services like Yahoo that make heavy use of edge caching generally change the file name not the host name whenever file content is updated.  But since they are maintaining one large signal instance system it is somewhat different for the many instances of OAE.

Systems like Ruby on Rails append a time parameter during development to make sure that things are reloaded on every refresh.

A possible solution would be to compute the MD5 on the content and append it as a parameter or make it part of the path.. Then it changes when the content changes.

I am sure all of these have already been discussed.

If these items are being served from the content system, computing the MD5 once and storing it would seem like a good idea.

Fun problem to think about solutions.

/Chuck