[Deploying Sakai] OAE UI Caching

Andrew Petro apetro at unicon.net
Fri Aug 19 11:48:31 PDT 2011

Daniel,

For whatever it's worth:

Modern uPortal has a "Resource Serving Webapp" that compresses, computes
hashes on, and sets aggressive caching headers for, cacheable UI
content.  When items are changed, the hashes change, so the names
change, so browsers don't rely upon their caches.

As I understand it, it works well and, yes, borders on the magical.

https://wiki.jasig.org/display/UPM40/Using+the+Resource+Server

This is probably more technology that Sakai-OAE-as-product might
consider incorporating rather than technology to be grafted on by a
production adopter, but either way I hope you find it a worthwhile lead.

Andrew