[Deploying Sakai] Installing Sakai on Ubuntu

Matthew Jones jonespm at umich.edu
Fri May 21 10:27:39 PDT 2010

Agreed, using java (as long as you pick 1.5 for older versions of Sakai),
apache and other packages are good ideas. Even on older versions of ubuntu
(that are LTS) it should have the java security updates. The package looks
like sun-java5-jdk on hardy, not the java that's installed by default. You
can install them both and "update-alternatives --config java".

However since Sakai installs so much stuff into tomcat, and has
some peculiarities depending on the version, it's better just to use one
downloaded from the apache website. Many from various forums [1] and this
list in the past have recommended against using the tomcat provided.There's
nothing to install for tomcat, just uncompress it and it's done. And there
are a lot of scripts around the net for auto starting it from init.d if
desired.

[1] http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1262645

-Matthew

On Fri, May 21, 2010 at 1:11 PM, Mike De Simone <michael.desimone at rsmart.com