[Deploying Sakai] Installing Sakai on Ubuntu

Mark Smith mpsmith at UDel.Edu
Fri May 21 20:16:01 PDT 2010

Thanks a lot for your help.

I had a lot of problems trying to do a manual install Java 1.5 on the latest
version of Ubuntu, 10.4. I installed the jdk  .bin file, but had significant
problems afterward; there appeared to be something wrong with the
update-alternatives-java file.  I figured it would be easier to go back to
an older version of Ubuntu with the Java 1.5 in the repository so I could
just install it using a .deb.  I thought I'd just go with the latest 8 or
one of the version 9 distributions (anyone know if version 9 includes 1.5 in
the repos?)

Thanks, David, for the warning about tomcat. I will definitely download from
Apache.

Mark