[Deploying Sakai] Sakai deployment problems on Windows Server 2003

Mark Smith mpsmith at UDel.Edu
Tue Mar 23 17:10:27 PDT 2010

Hello,

We are attempting to deploy Sakai 2.6.2 on Windows Server 2003 and we're
running into installation issues.

We decided to install the Binary build. We followed the instructions here,
http://confluence.sakaiproject.org/display/DOC/Install+Guide+-+Binary+Instal
l+(2.6). Java SDK 1.5.0.22 has been installed. Tomcat 5.5.26 is installed
and running. We also have a working installation of MySQL 5.0.90, which is
serving now as a database for a discussion forum (unrelated to Sakai). We
created a "sakai" database in MySQL. We also installed the Java Connector
for MySQL (5.1.5).

However, in following all the instructions from start to finish, we are
never able to run Sakai. We receive an "HTTP status 404" error from Tomcat,
stating that the "the requested resource /portal is not available." When we
make modifications to our my.ini file (following the procedure in the
Configure tab), our MySQL database stops functioning (it starts working
again when we return back the changes).

We would appreciate any suggestions on what to do at this point to get this
installation to work on Windows Server.

Thanks,

Mark

Mark Smith