[Deploying Sakai] Authentication is required (sending outgoing email when adding a user to a site)

Lee Evan Jimenez saga_cebu at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 20 18:39:38 PDT 2010

Thanks guys for your responses.

I tried installing 2.6.2 at home locally and used the same setting for the smtp at ...EmailService=mail.xxx.com, still got the '550 authentication required' exception. I concluded only when it's inside our office network that the email notification works even in a local Sakai instance.

I may have to enable smtp in the cle.xxx.com where the production Sakai is hosted and use it.
(Just a note: cle.xxx.com is another domain, not a subdomain of xxx.com. It's like trying to use the smtp of another domain. This could be the reason why it's throwing 'authentication required'. I thought it was possible since I read some pages about using gmail mail server)

-Evan