[Deploying Sakai] Authentication is required (sending outgoing email when adding a user to a site)

Matthew Buckett matthew.buckett at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Mon Jun 21 02:51:45 PDT 2010

On 21 June 2010 02:39, Lee Evan Jimenez <saga_cebu at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Thanks guys for your responses.
>
> I tried installing 2.6.2 at home locally and used the same setting for the
> smtp at ...EmailService=mail.xxx.com, still got the '550 authentication
> required' exception. I concluded only when it's inside our office network
> that the email notification works even in a local Sakai instance.
>
> I may have to enable smtp in the cle.xxx.com where the production Sakai is
> hosted and use it.
> (Just a note: cle.xxx.com is another domain, not a subdomain of xxx.com.
> It's like trying to use the smtp of another domain. This could be the reason
> why it's throwing 'authentication required'. I thought it was possible since
> I read some pages about using gmail mail server)

We run an SMTP server on localhost of all our production Sakai servers and
Sakai delivers all outgoing mail to localhost. The local mail server then
forwards all mail to our central mail servers. This way we control the mail
server to which Sakai is talking and can set setup spooling / retry
/authentication policies for getting mail onto the central mail servers.

I think we are running Exim as our local mail server, just be careful that
you don't setup any local mail server to become an open relay. Our server
just listens on localhost which reduces this risk.

--
 Matthew Buckett
 VLE Developer, LTG, Oxford University Computing Services