[Deploying Sakai] sakai behind a reverse proxy

Tapas Mishra mightydreams at gmail.com
Sat Jul 10 04:26:33 PDT 2010

I am not clear with a step.I have an application known as sakai.
It runs on Tomcat as http://192.168.1.5:8080/portal
http://confluence.sakaiproject.org/display/DOC/Sakai+2.7
I checked some of the elements of the application "sakai"
are having a URL path
http://192.168.1.5:8080/portal/some/path/to/css
note the word portal above the application sakai to be accessed needs
a URL which has
/portal in the tomcat URL

now comes the problem in this application which is not developed by me
some of the page elements are generated as

http://192.168.1.5:8080/path/to/some/element

note in this URL the word /portal is not there

referring to section 5.0 on
http://confluence.sakaiproject.org/display/DOC/Sakai+2.7

to access sakai  on LAN I need to type in
http://192.168.1.5:8080/portal which is the standard way to do so.
It does work great on our LAN.

Now my problem is my front end servers are Apache and there I use a
reverse proxy setup.
So I can have a reverse proxy as

ProxyPass /sakai http://192.168.1.5:8080/portal
ProxyPassReverse /sakai http://192.168.1.5:8080/portal

those elements which are generated as /portal as their root can be
accessed but then those which
have / as context root can not be accessed this way.
Is there a way that all page elements in sakai are generated as
/portal so that if I proxy pass to it users can access the site.
I have at least 15 different websites running on the said server on a
Linux Cluster.

--
Tapas