[Deploying Sakai] sakai installation problem

D. Stuart Freeman stuart.freeman at et.gatech.edu
Thu Jul 8 06:28:14 PDT 2010

On Thu, Jul 08, 2010 at 08:46:50AM +0530, Tapas Mishra wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 8, 2010 at 4:01 AM, Mike De Simone
> <michael.desimone at rsmart.com> wrote:
>
> > JAVA_OPTS="-server -Xmx1500m -XX:MaxNewSize=384m -XX:MaxPermSize=512m
> > -Djava.awt.headless=true"
> I want to know the meaning of various terms used in above line.
> What does
> server -Xmx1500m -XX
> MaxNewSize=384m
> MaxPermSize=512m
> means

-server sets some jvm defaults to values that are more appropriate on a
  server, the actual values it sets varies based on platform (x86, sparc,
  etc)

-Xmx1500m sets the maximum java heap to 1500MB

The java heap is divided into generations so that things that haven't
been garbage collected after a certain amount of time are checked less
frequently.  The MaxNewSize and MaxPermSize options modify the size of
those generations.