[Deploying Sakai] [Building Sakai] Step by Step Guide for request flow from UI to backend(Database)

Steve Swinsburg steve.swinsburg at gmail.com
Fri Sep 25 04:10:37 PDT 2009

Have a look here:

http://confluence.sakaiproject.org/display/BOOT/Sakai+application+%28tool%29+structure

There is a diagram that shows the general layout of how a tools works.
You'll need to understand things like what a DAO does, what goes in
the Logic, and what a Model is etc.

In a nutshell, there is a webapp which has a frontend (the
presentation layer) and a set of services (the API/Impl bundle) which
take care of the persistence (generally via Hibernate or JDBC). This
service also has access to the other Sakai API's from the core
services and other tools. Likewise, the services from your tool can be
accessed by other tools (if you code it nicely ;)

You can install the Sakai App Builder plugin into Eclipse, and
generate a basic Sample App which has everything you examine and
learn. There are some conventions you'll need to follow to register
new tools and to make sure your jars are deployed to the right spot in
your app server. For the presentation layer, may I suggest Apache
Wicket pas thats been added/updated in the app builder recently.

Best of luck,

Steve