[Deploying Sakai] [SPAM] - [Building Sakai] Safe EID/Login IDs? - Bayesian Filter detected spam

Adams, David da1 at vt.edu
Mon Jul 13 09:04:36 PDT 2009

Hey everyone,
We're thinking about changing the EID/Login ID of our individual Sakai
admin accounts to something that we can be sure won't conflict with our
real enterprise login IDs. It seems the choices are to make it longer
than we know our enterprise IDs will be, or add in a special character
we know they won't accept.

So our best idea so far is to just use the '@' character followed by
initials sufficient to identify the individual. We like it because it
will be short and all the admin accounts will sort together.

We chose the '@' character because we know it's allowed inside EIDs and
thus accounted for properly, and because it's illegal in our enterprise
IDs, so there's no chance of conflicts.

This setup appears to work so far for a couple of users we've been
trying it out with, but before we go all out and convert our support
staff, I wanted to ask the community if there's any reason we should not
start a Sakai EID with a special character like this or anything to
watch out for.

David Adams
Director of Systems Integration and Support
Virginia Tech Learning Technologies