[Deploying Sakai] Trouble with getting the binary Sakai to run

Shane Tully tully.shane at bpsd.org
Mon Jul 13 10:35:34 PDT 2009

Hi all, I am trying to get the binary version of Sakai to run on an Ubuntu 9.04 64bit server. I have Apache Tomcat, the JDK/JRE and Apache Maven installed and running properly. From what I understand from the Sakai 2.5 installation documentation (http://confluence.sakaiproject.org/display/DOC/Install+Guide+-+Binary+Install+%282.5%29), all I need to do "is unpack the binary archive at the root Tomcat directory and the appropriate *.wars, *.jars, etc., for the Sakai application will be deposited in the correct locations." However, when I do this Tomcat does nothing. I tried 127.0.0.1:8080/portal but it 404's. I have only been able to get the demo running successfully. Please let me know if I am missing something big here and/or if more details are required. I've followed the installation guide to a tee multiple times, but I still get no errors; Tomcat just doesn't do anything. Are there any log files that may help diagnose what's wrong? Any help or a point in the right direction is greatly appreciated. Thank you.