[Portfolio] Rubric forms in OSP - weighted averages

Sean Keesler sean.keesler at threecanoes.com
Mon Jan 11 13:24:56 PST 2010

I'm working on a custom renderer for a bunch of rubric forms for the
community library.
One of the ideas that Janice and I were discussing was to have the
form automatically calculate and store a final "score" based upon a
weighted average of the ratings for each criteria in the rubric... ie:
(weight1 * value1) + (weight2 * value2)  +....+ (weightn * valuen) =
final rating

I'd really like to express the "weight" of each "field" in the
schema...that way a record of the weight could be stored along with
the data when the form is filled out.
To do something like that, I could create a new "ospi" or "sakai"
documentation piece....something like:

<xs:documentation source="ospi.rubricWeight">.2</xs:documentation>

My custom renderer could read these weights and make use of them, but
other renderers wouldn't use them at all (and someone would have to
actually manually figure out the final score....
Has anyone else built "extensions" like that? Can you think of any
good reason NOT to do something like that?

Sean Keesler
130 Academy Street
Manlius, New York 13104 USA
315-663-7756