[Portfolio] Rubric forms in OSP - weighted averages

Noah Botimer botimer at umich.edu
Wed Jan 13 16:59:36 PST 2010

For the sake of lazy documentation, I want to mention a conversation I
had with Sean about this.

Michigan has taken advantage of precisely this mechanism. We have
indicated a couple of things about special fields in the schema, then
used custom XSL to treat them differently both in creation and viewing.

Though the annotation is straightforward and this constitutes a
powerful technique, it is somewhat obtuse in the XSL. The base
templates weren't really designed with extending them in mind, so some
seemingly simple things turn out to be a lot of complex or duplicated
code.

An example of this might be multiple choice items, which have some
intelligence about when to use checkboxes, radio buttons, or select
tags. Any adjustment here require pretty intimate familiarity with
what's going on and copying or recreating a bigger piece of
functionality than you might expect.

None of this is to discourage innovative uses but I do want to mention
that it is likely to introduce ongoing maintenance if used widely.
Because there aren't clear places to plug in system-wide extensions,
things like multiple sites using the functionality can be a bit of a
chore to track. You might consider these somewhere close to the realm
of local source modifications when evaluating investment and payoff.

Specific to Sean's scenario, I suggested that he add the annotation
but be clear in the code that this is custom behavior. Because it's a
bit of an exercise getting to know what schema pieces result in what
user interface, some clarity that forms won't get a rubric feature
without the corresponding XSL is in order.

If folks are doing interesting things with this technique, it would be
nice to hear about them. I can imagine a sort of cookbook in
Confluence somewhere.

Maybe Sean could even write up the first recipe.

Thanks,
-Noah