[Portfolio] [Building Sakai] changing text for matrix status colors

Noah Botimer botimer at umich.edu
Mon Jan 11 12:58:50 PST 2010

Hello Linda,

Yes, it is possible to change these labels. Unfortunately, these are
stored in a "properties" file for each language, making the change
more technical than you might hope. As a note, this would be system-
wide, as well.

Depending on how your Sakai installation is set up (build from
scratch vs. binary vs. vendor supported, clustered or not), editing
these could vary, and you will likely need to maintain this change
upon upgrades.

I have two suggestions:

First, it would be helpful if you could send a message to the
portfolio mailing list with your educational scenario and ideal
captions. If the verbiage is not specialized to your institution, it
may be helpful input for adjusting these captions in a future Sakai
version.

Second, and more technically, you can find the labels in the Matrix
tool's Messages.properties file. Each label for this area starts with
"matrix_legend" and they are in the same part of the file.

The full path in the source tree (for USA English) is:

osp/matrix/tool/src/bundle/org/theospi/portfolio/matrix/bundle/
Messages.properties

This ends up in your running Sakai instance as:

tomcat/webapps/osp-matrix-tool/WEB-INF/classes/org/theospi/portfolio/
matrix/bundle/Messages.properties

Thanks,
-Noah