[Portfolio] Possible Sakai Conference Proposal Topics (Teaching and Learning)

Josh Baron Josh.Baron at marist.edu
Wed Feb 17 10:25:28 PST 2010

Folks,

Just following up from our call just now with a couple of thoughts on
conference presentation topics.  The titles are just holding places as
we'd need to think of somewhat more interesting sounding titles.

(1) Teaching and Learning Themes for Sakai 3 - this would be mostly
focused on the 7 themes, explaining what they are/mean, how they are and
will be used and to have a dialog with folks about their implications for
Sakai 3.

(2) Process for Teaching and Learning Driven Design and Development - this
would focus more on the process that is emerging in which the teaching and
learning community is creating "targets" at which future design and
development work can then be aimed...we could discuss the initial learning
capabilities effort, the two day virtual meeting and (assuming this
happens) the refining of themes, development of user journeys and the
picking up of this work by the Product Council.

(3) Instructional Visioning Part II - this might be more of a
brainstorming session in which we outlined the 7 themes and just engaged
in a broad ranging brainstorming activity with the audience...might be
best done as a pre-conference workshop or meeting/BOF...I'm think we might
need 2 hours or so.  I would see this as more of the "horizon report" type
of thing where we would try and do some real out-of-the-box thinking.

Finally, over the past few years we've traditionally done a half-day
Teaching and Learning pre-conference workshop in which we have short
presentations done by a lot of different folks on how they are using Sakai
for teaching and learning...kinda of round-robin sharing of best practices
and examples.  The session has broad interest but I think it particularly
useful for those new to Sakai or just evaluating it.  I'd love to see this
run again this year and would be willing to help organize it but others
would need to take the lead as I'll be engaged in some Board meetings that
day.  Any takers?

If folks want to reply back to me off list with interest in participating
in any of these topics I can try and help organize a couple of proposals.

Josh

Joshua Baron
Director, Academic Technology and eLearning
Marist College
Poughkeepsie, New York  12601
(845) 575-3623 (work)
Twitter: JoshBaron