[Portfolio] [Using Sakai] Possible Sakai Conference Proposal Topics (Teaching and Learning)

Robin Hill hill at uwyo.edu
Tue Feb 23 08:12:07 PST 2010

With regard to Josh's last suggestion (below), I volunteer to organize a
half-day preconference workshop-- unless someone else already has, in
which case I would be happy to defer.  I already arranged (on behalf of
this group :-) possibly overstepping my authority) with the portfolio
people to confine such a session to the afternoon, so that they can have
an introductory portfolio session, focussing on teaching and learning,
in the morning.  This would be on June 14th, Monday, before the official
conference start date.  (Can I have Reba-Anna again?)

Here are a couple of ideas:

1.  A Sakai T&L Show-and-Tell, with short presentations, submitted in
advance, of various experiences and tips, with an emphasis on giving the
audience a takeaway.  This would be like last year's
Flame/Shame/Frame/Fame or whatever, which turned out to be disparate
contributions, not necessarily following the themes, but pretty
well-attended.  For instance, my office could contribute a role for
Supplemental Instructor (a student helper), with the pedagogical purpose
described and the specification given along with it.

2.  Something along the lines of "How Course Worksites Support the
Cycles of Teaching," focussing on the dynamic aspects of teaching a
course-- how instructors can manage the announcements, adjustments,
backward references, and rehashing of material that they end up doing
every semester.  This idea is (obviously) inchoate, and I might flesh it
out and submit it as an individual proposal instead.

Let's discuss this on the call tomorrow.

--
  Robin Hill, Ph.D.       hill at uwyo.edu       307-766-5499
  Instructional Computing Services            http://www.uwyo.edu/ctl