[Portfolio] potential collaboration with HEC Montréal, Université de Montréal and Sakai Québec

Ward, Lynn E. leward at iupui.edu
Thu May 21 14:15:36 PDT 2009

Hello friends,

Yesterday my colleague David Goodrum and I had a very interesting and productive conversation with Jacques Raynaud, one of the lead developers on the Open Syllabus contrib. tool.    The next major project that Jacques and his colleagues at HEC Montréal<http://www.hec.ca/en/index.html>, Université de Montréal<http://www.umontreal.ca/english/index.htm> and Sakai Québec<http://www.crim.ca/en/> plan to undertake is the development of a standards compliant ePortfolio environment for Sakai 3.

Our conversation yesterday focused on the specific needs and use case of Jacque's Canadian stakeholders, and not surprisingly, there was considerable overlap with the needs and aspirations of the OSP community.  David suggested that we explore the possibility of working together on a next-generation portfolio environment for Sakai 3 if there is sufficient common ground.

On June 8, Jacques (and perhaps some of his colleagues) will start participating in our Monday calls (he's in Paris until then), and he'll also be attending the Sakai Conference in July.  I've already alerted him to the Sakai 3 planning session during the conference.  In addition, prior to the Boston meeting, our developers (probably Chris Maurer) will try to schedule a time for Jacques and his team to meet with developers in the OSP community to share information about the current application architecture of OSP and Open Syllabus and possible directions for the future.

Unlike many of us who have no time to think about the next generation portfolio environment because we are so deeply entrenched in supporting the tools we have today, it sounds as though Jacque's team is ready to hit the ground running.  So, if we can reach consensus on overall direction, this is a great opportunity to combine forces and make significant headway on both the vision and the development of the Sakai 3 ePortfolio.

Lynn

Lynn Ward, Principal Systems Analyst, Community Source Collaboration and Learning
University Information Technology Services<http://uits.iu.edu/>
Indiana University-Purdue University Indianapolis
Information Technology and Communications Complex (IT 218S)
535 West Michigan Street, Indianapolis, IN 46202
Phone: 317-278-5713  E-mail: leward at iupui.edu<mailto:leward at iupui.edu>