[Portfolio] Sakai 3-ish discussion

Noah Botimer botimer at umich.edu
Mon Mar 16 12:08:54 PDT 2009

I would like to call attention David's email that John mentions here.
In fact, I was enough struck by it that I circulated it locally as a
valuable touchstone with many kudos to the clear, broad [educational]
perspective. If folks are not aware of it, it's available here:
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.cms.sakai.pedagogy/663

For discussion, I would also say that the promise of person-person
groups/associations are extremely compelling in the portfolio
context. We have often suffered configuration pains due to the lack
of object-level permissions and cross-site publishing.

I also agree that "tagging" (broadly, with free/structured/annotated
varieties) and activity awareness and flows are central to many of
our concerns. The complexity of our scenarios may be clear extensions
of simpler cases that share base needs; such as in course-based
learning, for example.

The only way we can know the depth of overlap and divergence and take
good advantage of our scarce face-to-face time (in July) is to do
some homework now.

I like the direction of this conversation.

Thanks,
-Noah