[Portfolio] [DG: Teaching & Learning] OpenEd Practices

Nate Angell nate.angell at rsmart.com
Fri Jul 24 17:46:13 PDT 2009

I think a review of OpenedPractices.org (OP.org) would be very useful.
I'll post a couple of points here about the history of the site that
can help guide folks who may not be familiar with it in their review.

Please let me know if you have any questions about OP.org or what I've
outlined below. I look forward to a call dedicated to improving the
site.

First, the site was designed to create a community and repository
primarily for teaching and learning practitioners (ie, faculty/
students rather than developers) who use open source tools. While its
first and currently primary focus has been Sakai/OSP, it is not
limited to that technology.

Second, the site attempts to collect and share three primary things:

1) Profiles of people and institutions engaged in open source teaching
and learning in order to create connections and community among them,
for example:
http://openedpractices.org/institutions
and each contributed item has a profile of its contributor to the
right, eg:
http://openedpractices.org/course/international-law-including-inkundla-yehlabathi-world-forum-simulation

2) Teaching and learning practices, to share and promote best
practices using open source tools, eg:
http://openedpractices.org/practices
For example, a (OSP) portfolio practice might be described:
http://openedpractices.org/practice/demonstration-growth-and-ability-critically-reflect-and-explain-emerging-practice
Or, the specific practices captured in course profiles for the
Teaching with Sakai Innovation Award (TWISA), eg:
http://openedpractices.org/course/introduction-forensic-science

3) Specific resources for teaching and learning—individual files,
rubrics, assignments, components, links, etc—used standalone or in the
above practices, eg:
http://openedpractices.org/resources
For example, a specific OSP component (that helps build the practice
linked above):
http://openedpractices.org/resource/school-education-syracuse-university-portfolio-review-template

Third, the site was developed to meet these more specific needs,
always with an eye toward generalizing:

1) OP.org started out originally as a part of the Open Source
Portfolio (OSP) website to provide a repository for sharing OSP
components. It still tries to serve this purpose, see for example:
http://bit.ly/OpenEdOSP

2) The Teaching with Sakai Innovation Award (TWSIA) started using the
site to collect and disseminate course profile entries for the award,
see for example:
http://openedpractices.org/twsia
One issue that comes up here is that there are currently two ways to
profile courses on the site that would be nice to resolve. The
profiles specifically designed for TWSIA:
http://openedpractices.org/courses
as well as a more generic "course" type under the general practices
category (none collected yet):
http://openedpractices.org/practices?op0=OR&op1=OR&filter1[]=course

3) The Association of American Colleges & Universities (AAC&U) started
using OP.org to collect rubrics, eg:
http://openedpractices.org/resources?
op0=OR&filter0[]=rubric&op1=OR&op2=OR
and to enable resources to be associated with their collaboratively-
developed Essential Learning Outcomes:
http://openedpractices.org/faq/what-aacu-outcome

Fourth, OP.org has been developed and maintained collaboratively by
folks from the OSP community (eg, Noah Botimer), folks from Josh
Baron's team at Marist, with additional funding from AAC&U, and
ongoing hosting and development resources from Sakai commercial
affiliate rSmart.

Fifth, any specific suggestions for improving the site would best be
collected in our Sakai issue queue:
http://jira.sakaiproject.org/browse/TLW