[WG: I18N & L10N] Having a locale as default for others in the same language

Steve Swinsburg steve.swinsburg at gmail.com
Tue Jul 15 04:03:13 PDT 2014

I think the point is that having a fallback to a language that is at least
pretty similar, like 'fr_CA' falling back to just 'fr', is better than
falling back to a completely different language, like 'en'.

As mentioned earlier, switching on a new language (like fr_BE) would
currently just render in English and every single properties file in Sakai
will need to be changed because there is no sensible fallback default that
is at least partially consistent. It may be that a certain tool has
translations that don't even need an override.

But Sakai administrators can control the locales available in Sakai, so if
they are concerned about how this appears to uses, as part of their
configuration should be restricting the list to those that they know are
fully translated.

The takeaway is that the Java locale system is designed to fallback down
the hierarchy by default, ie  xx_YY_variant > xx_YY > xx, system locale.
Deviating from this industry accepted practice can just be confusing.

cheers,
Steve