[WG: I18N & L10N] Single quotes issue with crowdin

Mark Breuker mbreuker at loi.nl
Tue Apr 1 01:30:57 PDT 2014

Hi Alex,

Perhaps you can ask Crowdin support?

https://crowdin.net/contacts

Mark
Mark Breuker
Functioneel Consultant
Tel.: +31 71 5451 203
Leidse Onderwijsinstellingen bv
Leidsedreef 2
2352 BA Leiderdorp
www.loi.nl
Van: i18n-bounces at collab.sakaiproject.org [i18n-bounces at collab.sakaiproject.org] namens Alex Ballesté [alexandre.balleste at udl.cat]
Verzonden: dinsdag 1 april 2014 10:22
Aan: i18n at collab.sakaiproject.org
Onderwerp: [WG: I18N & L10N] Single quotes issue with crowdin

Hi, we detected an strange behaviour in crowdin that makes translation
more difficult for us.

In sakai (or other java system that uses Message properties), when an
string bundle has an operator like {0} in the sentence and also contains
single quote characters ' ,  all this characters must be escaped putting
2 single quotes. It's a bit tricky because only works for sentences with
{} operators.

Example of how to write single quotes in order to be printed correctly:

catalan:

newope=La nova data d''obertura de l''activitat ''{0}'' \u00E9s {1}

newassig.opedat=Data d'obertura

french :

newope=Nouvelle date d''ouverture {1} pour le devoir ''{0}''.

newassig.opedat=Date d'ouverture

When you look at crowdin web you see:

La nova data d'obertura de l'activitat '{0}' és {1}

and

Data d'obertura

It seems correct at first look. You can think that later it'll  handle correctly in the download, but when you download the zip file you got.

newope=La nova data d''obertura de l''activitat ''{0}'' \u00E9s {1}  (OK it was escaped)

newassig.opedat=Data d''obertura  (UPPPSSSS it must not be escaped)

Is there a solution for this? We didn't find any options to handle that.
Do you know how to do it correctly? We will try to correct it manually
if there isn't a valid solution, but it's a lot of work.

Thanks in advance.

Alex.

Alexandre Ballesté Crevillén  alexandre.balleste at udl.cat
Universitat de Lleida
Àrea de sistemes d'Informació i Comunicacions
Analista/Programador

University of Lleida
Information and Communication Systems Service
Analyst / Programmer

Tlf: +34 973 702148
Fax: +34 973 702130