[WG: I18N & L10N] Fwd: Accessibility help documentation being changed

Jean-Francois Leveque jean-francois.leveque at upmc.fr
Tue Mar 26 03:06:19 PDT 2013

Hi,

On 22/03/2013 16:23, Neal Caidin wrote:
> Hi a11y group and i18n/localization,
>
> For those of you not aware, a11y has decided to move the Accessibilty
> help information out of the online help tool and into an external wiki
> (Confluence), at least until such time as the direction of the Online
> Help tool is decided (there has been some discussion about possibly
> replacing with this -
> https://confluence.sakaiproject.org/display/HELP/Future+plans+for+The+Knowledge+Base+Tool
> , but no decision) .

I wonder how those who need to run a standalone Sakai without giving
access to web sites outside their LAN would be able to provide the
accessibility help to their users. Now, let's go back to i18n.

> By making this change, updates to Accessibility information for Sakai
> can be made more frequently and dynamically as needed.
>
> Here is the proposed text that would go into Sakai CLE online help, and
> point back to the wiki: "The following URL is provided for people with
> disabilities who would like to experience the accessibility enhancements
> of Sakai.
> https://confluence.sakaiproject.org/display/2ACC/Sakai+2.9+Accessibility+Help+Documentation"
>
> So the question is, would it be okay to proceed with this change and
> figure out the localization process afterwards (aka translation) or do
> we need to figure this out before making the change?
>
> An easy solution could be that the Accessibility wiki page could contain
> any links to localized translations which are provided to the
> Accessibiity group, as they are created. So there is still one page for
> the community to reference to find information about Accessibility in
> any language (at least acting like a "portal").
>
> FWIW, there appear to only be two translations of the current
> Accessiblity information in CLE: Brazilian Portuguese and Traditional
> Chinese.
>
> What do you think?

I think translating should be possible and documented before making the
change, and the number of current or future translations shouldn't have
any influence on this.

The online help accessibility page pointing to the wiki could still be
translated and point to a different page in the wiki. Navigation in the
wiki should be designed to enable changing the locale to available
locales for the current page when the default locale has been translated.

I also agree with Beth's ideas in points 1 to 3 and won't repeat what
she's written. Nevertheless, if the minor release pages are not needed
yet, we can wait.

We could have an accessibility help translation page managed by the
accessibility group within the i18n translation documentation, or we
could point from the i18n WG zone to the accessibility WG zone if it's
easier to manage.

Pointing to the version for a Sakai release of the documentation could
be updated in the online help accessibility page in the release.

I think a Sakai release accessibility page for a locale should be
separate from another. Links locale labels at the could point to other
locales for the same release.

You could have a general page pointing to each release's pages. I don't
think we should separate translations from default documentation, so the
h4 won't bee needed.

What do you think ?

Thanks!

J-F